These small mini drones are quite popular and come in different price ranges. Even if you’re a beginner or a pro, mini drones can be a lot of fun. The first thing to keep in mind when purchasing a mini drone is the intended use. Do you want it to have a camera or you just want to have fun with it? Then decide the size, weight and capability that will match your needs.
Mini drones are quite popular for their size and low price; some are really cheap but still have great features. A mini drone is about the size of your hand; some can fit in your pocket while others are even foldable, making it easy for you to carry them about. These drones can be flown indoors and out, they may be tiny when compared to professional models, but they are a great way to have fun without spending a lot.
Some of the low price mini drones have cool features such as a stunt button which makes it do mid-air flips at the push of a button and LED lights. Mini drones have improved over the years; some now come with HD cameras and other features; most models also include Headless mode and Hover mode. FPV capabilities have also developed, and they now make use of modular batteries, so you no longer have to deal with little wired pushpins. The high-end mini drones use Apps to control your flight and choose between different video and picture options.
These drones make cool gifts for children, kids find them intriguing and amazing, and if it ends up crashed (which is part of the learning curve) you will lose only a few dollars, you could purchase a drone with prop protection (for added safety) if you intend to gift it to a child.
If you are a beginner choosing the most suitable mini drone might be a bit of a hassle due to the amounts of mini drones available. Ensure you select a mini drone based on your flying skills and budget. Crashes are inevitable, so it would be in your best interest to get extra propellers and an extra battery. Some models sell spare parts that can be purchased separately while others have a crash pack that includes everything you need to make repairs.
To reduce the stress on you, we have compiled a list of the best and most popular mini drones available.
The Best Mini Drones Are Reviewed Below
DJI Mavic Mini-FlyCam Quadcopter
The DJI Mavic mini is a lightweight, portable and reliable mini drone. It has a video quality of 2.7K and 12MP photos. It has an excellent battery life; it can fly as high as 3000m, which is way too high to see the drone anyway and above legal limits. It has a GPS receiver which allows you to use the Return to Home feature, It a great drone for first timers.
- 12MP aerial photos and 2.7K HD videos
- 30 minutes of flight time
- Find my drone feature
- Brand: DJI
- Model: DJI Mavic Mini
- Size: 6.3*3.15*0.39 inches
- It has the find my drone feature
- Includes remote control
- Battery life is great
- Doesn’t require FAA registration
- Automated cinematic camera movements.
- Has gimbal stabilization
- Doesn’t have obstacle detection sensors
- Has no 24fps video option
- Does not support HDR images
DJI Spark Portable Mini Quadcopter Drone
When this Spark Mini Drone is powered on, it takes off and hovers in place for seconds. Its aerial photographs are taken using just hand gestures without a remote controller or mobile device, and it comes out beautiful. The Spark Mini Drone is also known as one of the best camera drones. It creates incredible aerial videos that are cinematic using its smart flight modes and intuitive controls. Its maximum flight time is 16 minutes and has a top speed of 50 km per hour. The Spark Mini can fly without a controller for up to 1.2 miles away. Its smart flying reduces the chances of accidents.
- Video ISO range of 100-3200
- A transmission frequency of 2.4 GHz
- 3D sensing system
- Transmission range of 100 m
- Brand: DJI
- Model: DJI Spark Portable Mini Quadcopter Drone
- Size: 12*6*12 inches
- Because of its small size, it is easy to carry about
- Hand gestures operate the object detection and front camera
- It has a 12 MP camera that takes high-quality photos
- GPS/GLONASS enhances its flight stability
- It’s camera angles are adjustable while flying
- It gets a smoother video by mechanically stabilizing two axis of movement
- The battery’s lifespan is limited
- The flight hover time is short
- It only records 1080p videos
- It is best used as a selfie or racing drone
Potensic A20 Mini Drone
This mini drone is great for kids and first timers. Its features, including the headless mode, altitude hold, three adjustable speed levels and one key taking off and landing all make it a stable drone to fly and control. You can fly the drone in any direction you choose, indoors or out using its remote controller. It is incredibly portable, and its size can be compared to an iPhone five.
- 2.4 GHz remote control
- 3 Lithium Metal batteries included
- Two extra rechargeable batteries
- 1 USB charger
- Brand: Potensic
- Model: Potensic A20 Mini Drone
- Size: 3.5*3.1*1.25 inches
- It is lightweight making it easy to carry about
- It has a flight time of up to 12 minutes with rechargeable batteries
- It comes with spare pair of propellers
- It has an emergency stop feature for a quick landing
- It has propeller guards that protect against collisions
- It has no GPS and camera
- It is most suitable for kids and first timers
Hubsan X4 H107L Mini Drone
The Hubsan X4 H107L Mini Drone is the upgraded version of the H107 LED version. It features a 6-axis flight control system and also lightweight enough to fly indoors but can also be flown outdoors thanks to its quad-rotor thrust and LiPo battery. It comes in a royal blue colour. If you’re a pro at flying drones and like performing stunts, then you would love its Expert Mode, and if you’re a beginner, then the propeller guards keep your drone safe from collisions.
- 2.4 GHz transmitter with LCD screen
- 3.7v 240 mah battery
- Blade protection guard
- USB charger
- Brand: Hubsan
- Model: Hubsan X4 H107L Mini Drone
- Size: 3*3*1 inches
- It features a normal and expert mode
- 100-meter range
- It has a flight time of 6-8 minutes
- Performing aerial stunts are easy with its responsive controls, high thrust and low weight
- It features directional control for more experienced pilots
- It can only withstand light wind when outdoors
- It takes 30-45 minutes to charge it fully
Syma X11 Mini Drone
The Syma X11 Mini Drone features a six-axis gyro direction stabilizer and 3D lock for precise flying. It has a 360-degree eversion which allows you to continuously roll the quadcopter in the air allowing for perfect flips and aerial stunts. It is easy to fly and can withstand little gust of wind. It is easy to control, which is excellent for first timers or if you want to introduce your children to small drones. It has the extra bonus of being able to take photos and capture videos. This mini drone comes with a USB charging cable, four spare propellers, one blade protector and one Lithium battery.
- 2.4 GHz 4 channel frequency
- 2 MP HD Camera
- 12.6 ounces
- Brand: Syma
- Model: Syma X11 Mini Drone
- Size: 10*10*10 inches
- Its 2 MP HD camera allows you to take photos and videos while flying
- It has a flight time of 6-8 minutes
- Blade protector enhances flight safety
- It features flashing lights for night and day
- It has a charging time of 40-50 minutes
- Video is downloaded into a micro SD card as it is made making it impossible to view video in real-time
Cheerwing Syma X20 Mini Drone
This model is relatively smaller than other Syma models. It is an excellent quadcopter for your kids or a beginner to use indoors. It features in-built propeller guards and battery, so it has no detachable parts. This mini drone can perform 3D flips using the radio controller with controls that slide in every direction. It is incredibly responsive during flight; it also includes features like Altitude Hold and Return to Home. An incredibly affordable drone for your kids to play with indoors but if you prefer using control sticks, then it might take you a while to get used to its round radio controller.
- In-built Drone Battery, 3.7V 180mAh Li-Po battery
- Control distance of 50 meters
- Flight time of five minutes
- Brand: Cheerwing Syma
- Model: Cheerwing Syma X20 Mini Drone
- Size: 4.1*4.1*1 inches
- Its small propeller guards do not affect flight
- It features LED lights for flying during night time
- It’s one button Take-off and landing makes operating it easy for beginners
- Its one key Touch Down feature allows slow landing when the battery is low
- Its 360-degree eversion will enable it to roll continuously
- It has no camera
- Its flight time is short
- It takes about 50 minutes for the battery to charge
Cheerson CX-10 Mini Drone
Just throw this mini quadcopter in the air to make it fly, it does flips and side flights and also hover. It is a bright orange quadcopter with a flight time of four minutes. It features a 0.3 MP camera that you can take pictures and videos with. It has a low voltage alarm which tells you its time land if the battery is nearly empty. This mini drone’s transmission rate is up to 30 meters; it is affordable and great for beginners and pros.
- 4CH Mini Radio Controller (Model 2)
- Throw to fly
- Six-axis gyro
- Low voltage alarm
- LED light
- Brand: Cheerson
- Model: Cheerson CX-10 Mini Drone
- Size: 5.9*3*3 inches
- If a crash occurs, the battery protection makes sure no damage is done to the battery
- It has a charging time of 30 minutes
- LED light for night flying
- Six-axis gyro flight stabilization system
- It is agile and durable
- The transmitter’s battery is not included
Holy Stone HS170 Mini Drone
Great for first timers and also excellent for stunts. This mini drone is easy to control, agile and can do aerial flips. It is durable and sturdy, features propeller guards for protection from impact due to a collision, also landing feet for stability and protection during landing. Its six-axis Gyro tech allows it to roll and flip at the touch of a button. This mini drone has reliable, responsive motors and its average flight time is 8 minutes. This quadcopter comes with four additional blades, USB charger, a screwdriver, a propeller crowbar and others.
- 2.4 GHz Remote Controller
- 3.7V 350mAh Li-ion battery
- 13.6 ounces
- Brand: Holy Stone
- Model: Holy Stone HS170 Mini Drone
- Size: 13.5*4*13.5 inches
- Durable quality
- Comes with replacement blades
- Three flight mode for first timers and the pro fliers
- Headless mode makes getting used to the controls easy for beginners
- It has a short range of 50 meters
- Its battery life is low
The Tello Quadcopter is a throw-and-fly model. It has a 5 MP camera that makes 720p MP4 videos and JPEG photos; It features a bounce mode that makes the Tello automatically fly up and down. Landing and take off is done at the tap of a button.
The Tello is agile and takes high-resolution pictures; it flies up to 10m vertically and has a range of 100m. It can be programmed with SNATCH, which is a coding system developed by MIT for your kids to learn basic programming. It is an affordable drone.
- 5MP (2592*1936) pictures and HD720 videos at maximum flight
- Two antennas that promote stable video transmission
- 2.88 ounces
- Brand: DJI
- Model: Tello Quadcopter
- Size: 3.9*3.7*1.6 inches
- Flight time of 13 minutes
- An intel processor produces high-quality footage
- Features a vision positioning system for precise hovering
- 8D flips can be performed by sliding unto your screen
- DJI flight technology allows stable flight
- It is compatible with smartphone VR headset which gives exact control
- It takes approximately 1 hour 15 minutes to charge
Rabing Mini FPV
Every part of this drone is protected by a net cage which makes it resistant to collisions and durable. Its six-axis flight control system makes it easy to be controlled. It also features a 3D flip function with a headless mode which makes flying this drone so much fun. It comes with a charger that is plugged directly into it; it is easy for beginners to understand and also durable due to its protection.
- 3.7V 240mAh lipo battery (built-in)
- 4 CH
- Controller: 2.4GHz mode 2
- Brand: Rabing
- Model: Rabing Mini FPV
- Size: 79*65*25 mm
- It transmits images in real-time
- Its camera is of high quality
- WIFI Mobile phone app allows intelligent control
- Its 2.4 GHz control tech enables precise control
- It is easy for the drone to return home using the one-key Return Feature
- Steady, accurate hovering is achieved by Pneumatic positioning
- The remote control’s battery is not included
- It has a flight time of approximately 8 minutes
Eachine E10C Mini Quadcopter
The performance of the Eachine E10C Mini Quadcopter is excellent despite its size. It features an easy to control the camera and can be flown indoors. If it is windy out, you can switch to a fast rate. It does 3D flips and rolls at the tap of a key. The battery is replaceable so have some spare batteries handy. It is a compact drone that can be easily slipped into your pockets or a small bag.
- Battery for quadcopter: 3.7V 150mah
- Camera: 2MP 720P
- Brand: Eachine
- Model: Eachine E10C Mini Quadcopter
- Size: 60*60*28 mm
- It is durable
- It features rates for high and low speed
- 360 degree rolling
- It has a high-quality camera that takes great aerial videos and photos
- Features LED light for night flying and as a warning for low battery
- It takes approximately 40 to 50 minutes to charge
- It does not include an SD card
- It has a flight time of 5 to 6 minutes
- Its approximate flight distance is 20 meters
Buying Guide Questions
What is the best mini drone with camera?
Mini drones come with different features from normal sized drones, but we chose the DJI Spark Mini as the best mini drone. It has incredible features and is excellent for beginners.
It takes beautiful photos and videos with its 3D sensing system, a video ISO range of 100-3200 using only hand gestures.
What is the best mini drone for the money?
Mini drones differ in specifications. If you intend to give a drone to someone under 15, then get a drone that doesn’t have complicated features and is cheaper like the Eachine E10C. It is no fun paying $200 only for it to be destroyed in 20 minutes.
If you need a steady, more sophisticated drone with excellent camera quality for an adult then you can purchase the DJI Spark Portable Mini which is a bit pricey but worth it.
How much does a mini drone cost?
Mini drones range in features and uses, which makes their prices differ. The average cost of a beginners drone is from $30 – $150, while an intermediate drone ranges from $200 – $500 and the enthusiast usually buy drones starting from $1000 above.
Can the Mavic mini do flips?
The Mavic mini cannot roll and flip. If you proceed to try it, it may cause a crash. If you want to perform tricks with your drone in the water, then we would strongly suggest you use an actual underwater drone or simply a RC Fishing Boat, these are really fun and much cheaper, alternatively, you can just get a cheaper drone that has specialized features for tricks.
Does Mavic mini have GPS?
The Mavic Mini has a GPS receiver that ensures you have a stable and smooth flight. The GPS also allows you to use the Return to Home feature if the need arises or if the battery is running low then it will automatically return home. The Mavic mini uses GPS and GLONASS, which makes it connect to a lot of satellites.
Is the Mavic mini better than Spark?
DJI’s Spark is great for beginners and has a lot of fun features. Its 1080p video and two-axis gimbal make it a strong mini drone. Still, the Mavic mini has the wonderful combination of portability and power; it also has a 2.7k quad HD video and a three-axis gimbal which makes it a spectacular mini drone. The Mavic has a better video and picture resolution, even a longer flight time to the Spark.
Can the Mavic mini fly at night?
Yes, the Mavic mini can fly at night. Reduce movement, and you’ll get great image quality, but the videos are too dark, and nothing can be done about that. Images taken at night by the Mavic mini have EV compensation and manual control, but you still need a sufficient amount of light. It is not against the FAA regulations if you fly at night if you have a waiver.
Does the Mavic mini track?
Sadly, the Mavic mini does not have a follow me active track feature. Adding this technology will significantly increase the size ad weight of the drone.
Can the Mavic mini zoom?
Although the Mavic mini has a 2.7K 12-megapixel camera, it cannot zoom. The only DJI’s drone that has zoom capabilities during flight is the Mavic 2 Zoom.
When buying a mini drone always ensure you get one that suits your needs in its features, size, battery life, internal gyroscopes, propeller guards, skill level and most importantly your purpose for buying a mini drone.
We hope this guide has helped you narrow down your search list for the best mini drone.